Moving To Bulgaria From The UK
Moving to Bulgaria
Whether you are moving to Sofia, Varna, or Burgas, Britannia Movers International has the expertise and the local knowledge to tailor the move to your individual needs.
Importing Personal Effects to Bulgaria
As Bulgaria is a member of the EU, household goods and personal effects can be imported duty free provided that you have owned them for at least six months. You must be present at customs clearance on the day of shipment, and household goods can be imported up to three month after your arrival. Documents required are a copy of your passport, work permit and a detailed inventory. Once you contact your local Britannia office, they will be able to provide more specific information on moving your goods to Bulgaria.
Prohibitions and Restrictions
In general it is in your interest not to import the following items:
Transit times can vary subject to the method of transport chosen, size of your consignment and the final destination. Britannia will advise you once this information is established.
All Groupage consignments will be bar coded before they are loaded into the shipping container. This will ensure that no items are left at origin.
Britannia can recommend a specialised shipper of animals to assist you in sending your family pet(s) from home to home. They will coordinate all documentation and necessary veterinary procedures.
Find out more about pet transport.
Importing Motor Vehicles To Bulgaria
Importation of motor vehicles to Bulgaria will be subject to compliance, it is probable that duty and tax will apply.
When you are making international payments for individuals you can benefit from IFX expertise in seeking the best possible rate, whether you are sending or receiving foreign currency.
IFX can help to protect you from exchange rate fluctuations and save you time and money on international payments.
IFX offers :
More info on the IFX website.
Your Move to Bulgaria with Britannia
Britannia can offer a door to door service to Bulgaria, and can either ship your effects by shared load, by full container load, or can offer a door to door airfreight service. Our network of removal agents in Bulgaria will arrange customs clearance and can also deliver and unpack your effects.
Additional Removal services – Britannia can provide a variety of additional removal services when moving to Bulgaria. We can arrange insurance, storage, and can also take care of your pet transport.
If you are interested in Britannia’s removal services to Bulgaria, find out more about your moving costs, and read about our international removals, and additional moving services, such as money transfer.
Living in Bulgaria
While Bulgaria still remains a somewhat enigmatic and distant country for most of the world, more and more tourists are discovering the natural wonders and the picturesque towns of this country that connects East and West. Tourists swarm to the Black Sea Coast with its sandy beaches, and an increasing number of businessmen are investing in property. Whether you are planning to move to the cultural, and commercial centre, Sofia, or the seaside resort, Varna, you’ll discover Bulgaria’s untouched beauty and unique culture.
Located in Southeast Europe, Bulgaria is bordered by Romania, Serbia, the Republic of Macedonia, Greece, Turkey and the Black Sea. The emergence of Bulgaria dates back to the 7th century, and following a communist rule of over 40 years, Bulgaria is nowadays a parliamentary democracy and is a member of the EU, NATO, and the United Nations. Bulgaria has also recently undergone an economic transition to a free market economy, and although economic growth has been rapid in recent years, the income level still remains one of the lowest in the EU.
While bureaucratic inefficiency, and organised crime remain crucial problems, Bulgaria is a stunning country that can appeal to many open-minded expats and travellers. Living costs are cheap, public transport inside the country is cheap and efficient, and once you immerse yourself in Bulgarian culture, you’ll have the chance to explore Bulgaria’s lush mountains, distinctive cuisine and spectacular monasteries.
Interesting Facts About Bulgaria
- Bulgaria is one of the oldest European countries
- Bulgarian is a Slavic language spoken fluently by around 9 to 12 million people, and uses the Cyrillic alphabet.
- The only nations in the world that use the bagpipe as an instrument are Bulgaria, Scotland and Ireland.
- Varna on the Black Sea Coast used to be a major trading centre in ancient times.
- When Bulgarians move their heads up and down that means no, and when they move their heads from side to side, it means yes.
Moving to and Living in Bulgaria
- As Bulgaria is a member of the EU, you will not need a visa to enter the country. If you are planning to stay longer than three months and work in Bulgaria, you will need to register with the police and obtain the appropriate permits.
- Bulgaria has a universal, public health care system, and as it is a member of the EU, you will be able to access health care with your European Health Insurance Card.
- If you are moving to Bulgaria with your children, you’ll also have to look for suitable schools. There are a few international schools in Bulgaria, in Sofia or Veliko Tarnovo for example. Although Bulgarian might seem a difficult language to learn, you should also consider a Bulgarian school if you are planning to stay in Bulgaria permanently.
- Living and housing costs in Bulgaria are significantly lower than in Western Europe, although if you are planning to work in Bulgaria, your salary will also be lower than the average pay in the UK.