Moving To Sweden From The UK
Whether you are moving to Stockholm, Gothenburg or Malmo, Britannia Movers International has the expertise and the international resources to tailor the move to your individual needs.
Importing Personal Effects to Sweden
Sweden is a full member of the EU, which means that EU citizens can import used personal effects duty free. Shipments of used household and personal effects for non-EU citizens may be imported duty free provided the owner has resided abroad for at least a year. If you are moving within the EU, documentation required should be a copy of your passport and a detailed inventory in Swedish and English. Britannia will advise you of the specific requirements prior to your move.
Prohibitions and Restrictions
In general it is in your interest not to import the following items:
Sweden Transit Times
Transit times can vary subject to the method of transport chosen, size of your consignment and the final destination. Britannia will advise you once this information is established.
All Groupage consignments will be bar coded before they are loaded into the shipping container. This will ensure that no items are left at origin.
Domestic Pets to Sweden
Britannia can recommend a specialised shipper of animals to assist you in sending your family pet(s) from home to home. They will coordinate all documentation and necessary veterinary procedures.
Find out more about pet transport.
Importing Motor Vehicles to Sweden
Importation of cars to Sweden will be subject to compliance and duty tax may apply. However, if you have owned the car for at least a year before registering it in Sweden you might be exempt from paying duty tax.
When you are making international payments for individuals you can benefit from IFX expertise in seeking the best possible rate, whether you are sending or receiving foreign currency.
IFX can help to protect you from exchange rate fluctuations and save you time and money on international payments.
IFX offers :
More info on the IFX website.
Moving to Sweden with Britannia
- Your Move to Sweden with Britannia – Britannia has been providing an excellent door to door removal service to Sweden for years, and can transport your effects by shared load or by sole use container load. We can transport your items to Sweden in various ways, by our removal vans, sea containers, or by air.To ensure the safety of your consignment, we can also provide bar coding and computer tracking.
- Additional removal services – Britannia can provide a variety of additional removal services when moving to Sweden. We can arrange international insurance and international storage, and can also take care of your pet transport.
Living in Sweden
Whether you are relocating for professional reasons, or looking for a slightly different lifestyle, Sweden is an exciting destination. It has one of the world’s most highly developed economies, and is a highly innovative country, with strong technological and industrial sectors. Unemployment rates are low, and due to the strong economy and an excellent welfare system, Swedes enjoy a high standard of living.
Sweden is a Nordic country located on the Scandinavian Peninsula, between Norway and Finland, and is connected to Denmark by a bridge-tunnel. The country is a constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary democracy, has one of the fastest growing economies in the EU, and a unique, non-aligned foreign policy. The Swedish economic model rests on very strong public-private partnerships, and has a heavily tax-subsidized social security network, which ensures a strong welfare system, an excellent quality of life and high life expectancy throughout the country. Sweden has an open and tolerant society, and while it might be initially difficult to find employment if you are moving to Sweden without a job, the country offers a wide range of opportunities, and will give you unique experiences.
Whether you are looking for modern sophistication, and urban living, open spaces and parks, a more eco-friendly attitude to life or want to live in a rural area, Sweden is a really attractive destination. The country also offers unparalleled landscapes, stunning historical locations, and a moderate climate with long days in the summer, and living costs that are not much higher than in the UK.
Interesting Facts About Sweden
- Sweden is the third largest country by land area in the EU, and has a low population density, with just over 9 million inhabitants
- Swedish people have the longest life expectancy in Europe.
- Sweden has very high gender equality, with the smallest gender employment-rate gap in Europe, a high percentage of working mothers, and the highest proportion of female parliamentarians in the world.
- The Stockholm Globe Arena is the world’s largest hemispherical building, with a diameter of 110 metres.
- About 13% of the Swedish population were born in a country other than Sweden.
Tips About Moving to and Living in Sweden
- As Sweden is part of the EU, EU citizens have the right to live and work in the country. However, you will still need a work permit from the Swedish Migration Board.
- If you are planning to move to Sweden permanently, you should also apply for a registration number as soon as possible as it is essential for many things from registering with the doctor to opening a bank account.
- The unemployment rate is low and there are a wide range of employment opportunities, though expats often find it hard to get a job in Sweden, especially as there is a relatively large public sector.
- Sweden has a strong welfare state, with an excellent universal health care system, a good public education system, and has a very high percentage of tertiary education degree holders.
- Living costs in Sweden are slightly higher than in the UK, but if you manage to find employment, your salary will also be higher than in many other EU countries, including the UK.