Get a No Obligation Quote Today!
Moving To Italy From The UK
Moving to Italy
If you are planning on moving to Italy, whether to Rome, Venice, or Milan, Britannia Movers International has the expertise and the local knowledge to tailor the move to your specific needs.
Importing Personal Effects to Italy
Italy is a full member of the EU, and as the UK has now left the EU, new rules apply to movement of goods between the UK and EU Countries. Please bear in mind that all shipments to the EU from the UK will now have to clear customs on arrival and you must ensure you can provide all relevant customs documents required at destination. Your contact at your local Britannia office will assist you with which forms are necessary along with what supporting documentation you will need to provide. However, the responsibility for completion and submission of these forms now falls with the customer and it is advisable that all these formalities are prepared for prior to the move to avoid potential delays in transportation and additional charges.
Prohibitions and Restrictions
In general it is in your interest not to import the following items:
Transit times vary based on the size of your consignment, the final destination and the method of transport you’ve chosen. Customs clearance normally takes between 5 to 8 working days. Britannia will advise you once this information is established.
All shared load consignments will be bar coded before they are loaded into the vehicle. This will ensure that no items are left at origin.
Britannia can recommend a specialised shipper of animals to assist you in sending your family pet(s) from home to home. They will coordinate all documentation and necessary veterinary procedures.
Find out more about pet transport.
Importing Motor Vehicles to Italy
Importation of your motor vehicle to Italy will be subject to compliance, and duty and tax can also apply. Vehicles must have been owned and used 6 months prior to shipment to Italy.
When you are making international payments for individuals you can benefit from IFX expertise in seeking the best possible rate, whether you are sending or receiving foreign currency.
IFX can help to protect you from exchange rate fluctuations and save you time and money on international payments.
IFX offers :
More info on the IFX website.
Moving to Italy With Britannia
- Your Move to Italy With Britannia – Britannia’s dedicated network of removers will assist you with moving to Italy. Your household effects can be transported by removals vans, sea containers or air. Our trained packers can pack and wrap all your items to ensure that they are transported safely, and we can also provide a full door to door service to Italy.
- Additional removal services – Britannia can provide a variety of additional services when moving to Italy. We are authorised to provide a comprehensive insurance, can arrange international storage prior to delivery, recommend a convenient way to transfer your money, and can also take care of your pet transport.
If you are interested in moving to Italy, get an online removals quote, and read more about our European removals.
Living in Italy
Known for its rich culture, beautiful architecture, and extremely varied climate and landscape, Italy is an attractive destination for many tourists and more and more expats every year. Italy has been regarded by many as the cradle of Western culture, from Roman times through the Renaissance and the Baroque, up to nowadays. The country has a long cultural tradition of arts, poetry, architecture and languages, and the variety of cities, towns and amazing landscapes will all contribute to captivating modern-day visitors and those moving to Italy permanently.
Italy is located in south-central Europe, bordering France and Switzerland along the Alps and extending to the Italian Peninsula and several islands in the Mediterranean Sea. Italy is a democratic republic and is a developed country, with a strong political, economic and social power. The country ranks very high for quality of life and the population generally enjoys a high standard of living. Italy also has one of the best healthcare systems in the world, and excellent public education.
Whether you want to move to a vibrant and modern city, find a more relaxed pace of life in a smaller town or island, or want to enjoy a rich culture, Italy is a perfect destination. While it may be more difficult to find employment, you will explore amazing cities and landscapes, enjoy great food, culture and a unique way of life.
Interesting Facts About Italy
- Some of the most famous explorers in history were Italians, such as Christopher Columbus, Marco Polo or Amerigo Vespucci.
- There are two independent states within Italy, San Marino and Vatican City
- Venice and the surrounding regions are the wealthiest areas in Europe.
- Italy has the highest number of cultural World Heritage sites.
- Italy is the fourth most visited country in the world, with around 40 million foreign visitors per year.
Moving to and Living in Italy
- EU citizens can enter and travel in Italy without a visa. If you are planning to move to Italy permanently, you will need a residency permit. Similarly, to work in Italy, you will not require a visa, but will need a residency permit.
- If you are moving to Italy with your children, you will also have to think about their schooling. There are a number of international schools in Italy, but if you are planning to stay longer, you might also consider Italian schools, as public education is of a very high standard, and this may also help your children integrate better.
- Employment levels vary greatly in different regions of Italy, and unemployment levels are relatively high. However, there are opportunities in industries such as media, technology or tourism.
- Living costs in Italy are fairly high, especially in larger cities, like Rome or Milan. The southern parts, and rural areas are more affordable.