How Do I Get A New Zealand Visa? - Britannia Movers International
Find a Branch

How Do I Get A New Zealand Visa?

Many people are drawn by New Zealand’s cool weather and rugged landscape, with the famously laid-back and friendly reputation of the local population meaning that many of them want to stay. The great news is that New Zealand is looking for more expats to move into the country with the right skill sets to help the countries continuing growth. This is aided by the availability of different visa’s specific to particular needs of those looking to make the move.

Long Term Business and Investor Visa

The Long Term Business and Investor Visa is a temporary 3 year work/permit visa. Its aim is to attract migrants who have business experience, have been operating their own business and wish to establish a similar business in New Zealand.

You need to be able to show and provide evidence:

  • that you have business experience that is relevant to your proposed business.
  • that you have sufficient funds to provide capital for your business, and to support yourself and your family for three years.
  • in the form of a full business plan
  • that you have a good understanding of the business environment in New Zealand in relation to your proposed business.

Skilled Migration Visa

With a Skilled Migrant Category visa, you get most of the rights of a citizen, including the ability to enter and leave the country, to work for any employer, to vote, to have full access to all health care benefits and educational subsidies for visa holders and their dependents.

Approvals for this Resident Class visa are primarily on a points system. The points levels are reset from time to time, but at present, anyone with a legitimate claim to 140 points or more, with skilled employment and meeting other general criteria such as health and English skills is likely to be successful.

Temporary Work Visa

This visa is an attractive option if you are under 30 and looking to travel and work in New Zealand for up to 12 months (up to 23 months if you are from the UK).

In order to apply for a working holiday visa, you must:

  • have a passport that’s valid for at least 3 months after your planned departure from New Zealand,
  • be at least 18,
  • not bring children,
  • hold a return air ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket,
  • not have previously been approved for a Working Holiday visa,
  • be coming to New Zealand to holiday, with work being the secondary intention for your visit.

Essential Skills Work Visa

This temporary visa may be your best option if you already have a job offer from a New Zealand employer. The Essential Skills visa is designed to allow employers to source foreign workers should they fail to find appropriate candidates from the local workforce. The visa allows a stay in New Zealand for up to three years.

This visa is ideal if:

  • you have a job offer
  • you prefer to work in New Zealand on a temporary basis
  • your skills/experience are needed as demonstrated by your employer’s search to fill the position

Visas are usually granted for a minimum of twelve months and up to a maximum of three years. The visa can be renewed if the employer agrees.

Family Visa

You may apply to come to New Zealand to live if you are sponsored by a family member who is already a New Zealand citizen and/or resident.

Applicants must be in one of the following groups below:

  • Partner – you are the husband, wife, de-facto or civil union partner of a New Zealand citizen or resident
  • Dependent Child – you are a dependent child with a parent who is a New Zealand citizen or resident
  • Parent – you have a child who is a New Zealand citizen or resident
  • Parent Retirement Category – you have a child who is a New Zealand citizen or resident and you are able to invest NZ$1 million in New Zealand for four years
  • Sibling or adult child – you are the brother, sister or adult child of a New Zealand citizen or resident

If you are a New Zealand citizen or resident you may be able to support your partner’s application or sponsor your dependent child, parent, adult child, brother or sister.

Relocating Businesses

New Zealand welcomes businesses that want to relocate to their shores and establish themselves in the New Zealand economy.

If you are a key employee of a business that wants to relocate its operations to New Zealand, you may be eligible to apply for residence under the Employees of Relocating Businesses Category.

Employer Accreditation

The purpose of accreditation is to allow employers to more easily recruit highly talented workers from overseas, facilitating employers’ access to global skills and knowledge thus complementing the Governments education, training, employment policies and economic strategies.

Applicants recruited under this policy will have a high level of skills, particularly in knowledge-based industries and other areas that will contribute to New Zealand’s capacity base. Approved employers are granted accreditation for 12 months.

Working Holiday Visa

If you are aged between 18 and 30 and interested in travelling to and working in New Zealand, you may be eligible for the New Zealand Working Holiday visa. This visa allows the applicant to travel to and reside in New Zealand for up to 12 months (or up to 23 months for British applicants). Applicants will need to be of good health and character and not be taking any dependants with them, and also must not have been issued a New Zealand working holiday visa previously.

The application fee for the New Zealand Working Holiday visa is £105 for the 12-month option or £135 for the 23-month option. Please note that the 23-month visa will require the applicant to undertake a medical and x-ray at their own expense.

See our dedicated New Zealand page for more information about moving to New Zealand