Ever wanted to travel to Middle Earth and the world made famous in Lord Of The Rings? If so you’ll be glad to know taking a trip to Hobbiton is now no longer as far-fetched as you’d think. Fascinating two hour guided tours around the most picturesque village on Middle Earth are now available. Located on private farmland near Matamata in the North Island of New Zealand, the set made famous by Peter Jackson’s interpretation of the Lord Of The Rings novels and soon to feature in The Hobbit trilogy, is open to the public.
With stunning views that range far across the Kaimai ranges this is a must for any fan of the films. Being located on a real working farm there is also a chance for you and the kids to pet and feed the lambs and other animals kept on the farm.
At the end of the tour relax with a great cup of coffee or a light meal in the Shires Rest Cafe, which is also available to be hired for functions, conferences and other occasions, with special souvenirs on sale that will remind you of your visit.
The tours already boast five star reviews, including “surpasses expectations”, “loved it, worth a walk for any parents with children” and “so much better than we expected”. It’s a trip sure to impress any fan of Tolkien’s spectacular novels.
- Travel by coach from Matamata to the farm
- Tour starts with a drive through the 1,250 acre sheep farm
- Guided escort through the 10 acre Hobbiton movie set
- Tour ends at the Shires Rest Cafe where you can enjoy the Sheep Farm Experience
- Return transfer to Matamata
- Frequency: Departs daily
- Departure Point: Matamata Information Centre, 45 Broadway, Matamata.
- Departure Times: at 9:30am, 10.45am, 12noon, 1.15am, 2:30pm
- Extended Summer Departure times:
- 3.45pm (20 August to 20 May)
- 5:00pm (27 Dec to 31 Jan)
- Duration:From the Matamata Information Centre & return is 2 hours 30 minutes.
- Return Details: Tour returns 2 1/2 hours after departure time.
- Closed: Christmas Day
- Infants (0-4 years) tour free
- Children are welcome, Child (5-9 years) and Infant (0-4) rates apply only if accompanied by an adult.
- This tour must be booked at least 72 hours in advance of travel.
- Confirmation for this product will be received within 24 hours of booking, subject to availability.
- Tour is operated in English unless otherwise stated.
- Complete operator information, including opening times and local contact telephone numbers are included on your e-voucher.
click here to book tickets
To get a feeling for just how much New Zealand loves The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit watch this recent advert from Air New Zealand [it’s sure to make you chuckle]: