Get a No Obligation Quote Today!
Moving To Austria From The UK
Moving to Austria
If you are planning on moving to Austria, whether to Vienna, Salzburg or Linz, Britannia Movers International has the expertise and the local knowledge to tailor the move to your specific needs.
Importing Personal Effects to Austria
Austria is a member of the European Union, but as the UK has now left the EU, new rules apply to movement of goods between the UK and EU Countries. Please bear in mind that all shipments to the EU from the UK will now have to clear customs on arrival and you must ensure you can provide all relevant customs documents required at destination. Your contact at your local Britannia office will assist you with which forms are necessary along with what supporting documentation you will need to provide. However, the responsibility for completion and submission of these forms now falls with the customer and it is advisable that all these formalities are prepared for prior to the move to avoid potential delays in transportation and additional charges.
If you are moving to Austria from outside the EU then you will also need an entry certificate from the police station of the municipal office concerned, and an exit certificate or certificate of proof that you have resided abroad for at least 12 months. Britannia will advise you of the requirements prior to your move.
Prohibitions and Restrictions
In general it is in your interest not to import the following items:
Transit times can vary subject to the method of transport chosen, size of your consignment and the final destination. Britannia will advise you once this information is established.
All shared load consignments will be bar coded before they are loaded into the vehicle. This will ensure that no items are left at origin.
Britannia can recommend a specialised shipper of animals to assist you in sending your family pet(s) from home to home. They will coordinate all documentation and necessary veterinary procedures.
Find out more about pet transport.
Importing Motor Vehicles to Austria
Importation of motor vehicles to Austria will be subject to compliance, it is probable that duty and tax will apply. Importation of a motor vehicle will have to be reported to the local fiscal office, and you will also be required to pay a standard consumer tax on your car.
When you are making international payments for individuals you can benefit from IFX expertise in seeking the best possible rate, whether you are sending or receiving foreign currency.
IFX can help to protect you from exchange rate fluctuations and save you time and money on international payments.
IFX offers :
More info on the IFX website.
Moving to Austria with Britannia
Your Move to Austria with Britannia – For many years Britannia has been providing an excellent door to door shipping and removal service to Austria, and can either transport your effects by shared load or by sole use container load. Household and personal effects can be transported to Austria in various ways; over land by road van, by sea containers or by air.
Additional Removal Services – Britannia can provide a range of additional moving services when moving to Austria. We are authorised to provide comprehensive insurance, arrange international storage, and can also recommend a convenient way to transfer your money.
Living in Austria
Offering a combination of Central European culture and Western European living standards, Austria can be a very exciting holiday or expat destination. Whether you would prefer to see stunning landscapes, move to a historic city, or to the cosmopolitan capital, Austria has a lot to offer. Vienna is Austria’s economic and political centre and has an extremely varied cultural life, including theatre, classical music, the fine arts, jazz, and stunning architecture.
Located in Central Europe, bordered by the Czech Republic, Italy, Switzerland, Hungary and Germany among others, Austria is nowadays one of the richest countries in the world. The country is a parliamentary democracy, has a high standard of living and ranks high on the Human Development Index. Austria is also a member of the United Nations, European Union, and the OECD.
With a long cultural tradition in various forms of art, including music, and theatre, stunning architecture and beautiful landscapes in the Alps, Austria could be the perfect location for many expats moving abroad. You’ll surely enjoy Austria’s cosmopolitan culture, amazing ski-resorts, and Austria can also boast an extremely strong economy and a favourable business environment.
Interesting Facts About Austria
- Austria’s official language is German, and almost 90% of the population speak German.
- Over 60% of Austria’s electricity is supplied by renewable resources.
- Many world-famous composers, including Strauss, Mozart, Haydn and Schubert were Austrian, and Vienna used to be the musical centre of Europe.
- The highest waterfall in Europe is the Kriml Falls, and is located in Vienna.
- The city centre of Vienna is a World Heritage Site.
Moving to and Living in Austria
- EU and EEA citizens can enter Austria, and work there without requiring a residence visa or a work permit. To stay in Austria permanently, you’ll need to obtain a residence permit from the district administration office.
- Austria’s official language is German, spoken natively by over 88% of the population. If you are planning to move to Austria permanently, you should start learning German as soon as possible, as it will make integration and finding a permanent job much easier.
- Austria has a high quality, free and public school system. If you are moving to Austria with your children, you can choose between international schools or German-speaking public schools.
- Austria is not as cheap in terms of housing and living costs as some other neighbouring Eastern European countries, but it will be cheaper than the UK, with an average meal costing between EUR 5-7.