Get a No Obligation Quote Today!
Moving To Finland From The UK
Whether you are moving to Helsinki, Tampere or Vantaa, Britannia Movers International has the expertise and the international resources to tailor the move to your individual needs.
Importing Personal Effects to Finland
Moving to Finland from another EU country goods are admitted free of taxes and other restrictions, with certain exceptions. Moving to Finland from outside the EU goods are subject to Finnish Customs Regulations. Used household goods may be imported duty free provided you have owned them for at least 6 months prior to arrival, and that the owner has resided abroad for at least 12 months prior to importation date.
Prohibitions and Restrictions
In general it is in your interest not to import the following items:
Finland Transit Times
Transit times can vary subject to the method of transport chosen, size of your consignment and the final destination. Britannia will advise you once this information is established.
All shared load consignments will be bar coded before they are loaded into the vehicle. This will ensure that no items are left at origin.
Taking Domestic Pets to Finland
Britannia can recommend a specialised shipper of animals to assist you in sending your family pet(s) from home to home. They will coordinate all documentation and necessary veterinary procedures.
Find out more about pet transport.
Importing Motor Vehicles to Finland
Importation of cars to Finland will be subject to compliance and duty tax may apply. However, if you have owned the car for at least 6 months immediately before moving it to Finland you might be exempt from paying duty taxes.
When you are making international payments for individuals you can benefit from IFX expertise in seeking the best possible rate, whether you are sending or receiving foreign currency.
IFX can help to protect you from exchange rate fluctuations and save you time and money on international payments.
IFX offers :
More info on the IFX website.
Moving to Finland with Britannia
- Your Move to Finland with Britannia – For many years Britannia has been providing an excellent door to door removal service to Finland, and can either transport your effects by shared load (groupage) or by sole use container load. We can transport your items to Finland in various ways, by our removal vans, sea containers, or by air.To ensure the safety of your consignment, we can also provide bar coding and can monitor the status of your goods in transit.
- Additional removal services – Britannia can provide a variety of additional removal services when moving to Finland. We can arrange international insurance and international storage, and can also take care of your pet transport.
Living in Finland
Whether you are relocating for professional reasons, or looking for a slightly different lifestyle, Finland is an exciting destination. It has a highly industrialised mixed economy with a per capita output equal to that of France, Germany, Belgium or the UK. Unemployment rates are low, and due to the strong economy and an excellent welfare system, Finns enjoy a high standard of living.
Finland is a Nordic country located in the Fennoscandia region of Northern Europe, bordered by Sweden in the west, Norway in the North and Russia in the east, while Estonia lies to its south across the Gulf of Finland. The country has a president with a parliamentary democracy and has one of the fastest growing economies in the EU. The Finnish economic model rests on very strong public-private partnerships, and has a heavily tax-subsidized social security network, which ensures a strong welfare system, an excellent quality of life and high life expectancy throughout the country. Finland has an open and tolerant society, and while it might be initially difficult to find employment if you are moving to Finland without a job, the country offers a wide range of opportunities, and will give you unique experiences.
Whether you are looking for modern sophistication, and urban living, open spaces and parks, a more eco-friendly attitude to life or want to live in a rural area, Finland is a really attractive destination. The country also offers unparalleled landscapes, stunning historical locations, and a moderate climate with long days in the summer, and living costs that are not much higher than in the UK.
Interesting Facts About Finland
- Finland is the seventh largest country by land area in Europe, with just over 5 million inhabitants, 1 million of which live in the Capital Helsinki.
- Official languages for Finland are Finnish and Swedish, with Sami recognised as an official regional language
- Finland has very high gender equality, with one of the smallest gender employment-rate gap in Europe, a high percentage of working mothers, and a high proportion of female parliamentarians.
- Finland has been ranked as one of the worlds most peaceful, competitive and livable countries.
- Finland has a humid and cool semi continental climate, characterised by warm summers and freezing winters.
- Finland is the only country in the world which broadcasts news in Latin.
Tips About Moving to and Living in Finland
- As Finland is part of the EU, EU citizens have the right to live and work in the country. However, you will still need a work permit from the Finnish Migration Board.
- If you are planning to move to Finland permanently, you should also apply for a registration number as soon as possible as it is essential for many things from registering with the doctor to opening a bank account.
- The unemployment rate is low and there are a wide range of employment opportunities, though expats often find it hard to get a job in Finland, especially as there is a relatively large public sector.
- Finland has a strong welfare state, with an excellent universal health care system, a good public education system, and has a very high percentage of tertiary education degree holders.
- Living costs in Finland are slightly higher than in the UK, but if you manage to find employment, your salary will also be higher than in many other EU countries, including the UK.