Get a No Obligation Quote Today!
Moving to Malta and Gozo From The UK
Moving to Malta
Whether you are moving to the capital, Valetta, Birkirkara, or a small rural town, Britannia Movers International has the expertise and the international resources to take you there.
Importing Personal Effects to Malta
Malta is part of the EU, but as the UK has now left the EU, new rules apply to movement of goods between the UK and EU Countries. Please bear in mind that all shipments to the EU from the UK will now have to clear customs on arrival and you must ensure you can provide all relevant customs documents required at destination. Your contact at your local Britannia office will assist you with which forms are necessary along with what supporting documentation you will need to provide. However, the responsibility for completion and submission of these forms now falls with the customer and it is advisable that all these formalities are prepared for prior to the move to avoid potential delays in transportation and additional charges.
Prohibitions and Restrictions
In general it is in your interest not to import the following items:
Groupage or shared containers usually take an average of 7-9 weeks door to door. However, this can vary depending on volumes being shipped, customs or immigration delays and prevailing weather conditions. Sole use container loads take on average 4-6 weeks door to door.
All shared load consignments will be bar coded before they are loaded into the vehicle. This will ensure that no items are left at origin.
Britannia can recommend a specialised shipper of animals to assist you in sending your family pet(s) from home to home. They will coordinate all documentation and necessary veterinary procedures.
Find out more about pet transport.
Moving Motor Vehicles to Malta
If you are importing a car to Malta, you will most probably have to pay a vehicle registration tax, which can be quite high, especially for larger vehicles.
When you are making international payments for individuals you can benefit from IFX expertise in seeking the best possible rate, whether you are sending or receiving foreign currency.
IFX can help to protect you from exchange rate fluctuations and save you time and money on international payments.
IFX offers :
More info on the IFX website.
Moving to Malta with Britannia
- Your Move to Malta with Britannia– Britannia can offer you a door to door service to the Islands of Malta & Gozo, and can either ship your effects by shared load or by full container load. In addition we can offer a door to door airfreight service. Our local agents can also arrange customs clearance, and will deliver and unpack the effects, including removal of debris on day of delivery. To ensure the safety of your consignment, we can also provide bar coding and computer tracking.
- Additional Removal Services – Britannia can provide a variety of additional removal services when moving to Malta. We can arrange international insurance, and storage, and can also take care of your pet transport and money transfer.
Living in Malta
While Malta has been a very popular tourist destination for the last few decades, it has also become an attractive expat destination for many EU citizens looking for a more relaxed life, interested in historical monuments, or looking for a favourable business atmosphere. Although Malta is one of the world’s smallest countries, it is a diverse and open society, where many will be able to follow their desired lifestyle.
Malta is an archipelago situated in Southern Europe in the Mediterranean Sea, south of Sicily and east of Tunisia. It is not only one of the world’s smallest countries, but also one of the most densely populated, with a land area of just over 300 square km. Malta gained independence from the UK in the 1960s, and is a member of the United Nations, the European Union, and the eurozone. Malta’s economy is dependent on foreign trade and tourism, with over 1 million tourists visiting every year.
Whether you are attracted by Malta’s amazing historic monuments, including nine UNESCO World Heritage Sites, want to live a more relaxed life near the beach in a sunny and warm climate, or you are relocating for professional reasons, Malta can offer a wide range opportunities, and a diverse culture.
Interesting Facts About Malta
- Malta has two official languages – Maltese and English.
- The Megalithic Temples in Malta are the oldest free-standing structures in the world, and are said to be older than England’s Stonehenge.
- A land bridge connected Malta and Sicily in the past.
- There is no property tax in Malta
Tips About Moving to and Living in Malta
- If you’d like to work and settle down permanently in Malta, you will need a work and residence permit.
- If you are moving to Malta with your children, you will also have to consider education opportunities. As English is one of the official languages, many public school teach in English as well, and university courses are predominantly in English.
- There is excellent public healthcare in Malta, and the system closely resembles the British system. Healthcare is ranked number five by the World Health Organisation.
- Living and housing costs in Malta are significantly lower than in the UK.