Moving To Netherlands From The UK
Moving to Netherlands
Whether you are moving to Amsterdam, Utrecht, or Rotterdam, Britannia Movers International has the expertise and the local knowledge to tailor the move to your specific needs.
Importing Personal Effects to Netherlands
EU citizens can import personal effects and household goods to the Netherlands duty free provided that they have been used for at least 6 months. To move your personal effects to the Netherlands, you will need a copy of your passport, a detailed inventory and an original customs application form in Dutch.
Prohibitions and Restrictions
In general it is in your interest not to import the following items:
Transit times can vary subject to the method of transport chosen, size of your consignment and the final destination. Britannia will advise you once this information is established.
All shared load consignments will be bar coded before they are loaded into the vehicle. This will ensure that no items are left at origin.
Britannia can recommend a specialised shipper of animals to assist you in sending your family pet(s) from home to home. They will coordinate all documentation and necessary veterinary procedures.
Find out more about pet transport.
Importing Motor Vehicles to Netherlands
To move your car tax-free, you will have to apply for a permit to import, and you are prohibited to sell, lease or transfer the vehicle within 12 months of arrival.
When you are making international payments for individuals you can benefit from IFX expertise in seeking the best possible rate, whether you are sending or receiving foreign currency.
IFX can help to protect you from exchange rate fluctuations and save you time and money on international payments.
IFX offers :
More info on the IFX website.
Moving to Netherlands with Britannia
- Your Move to the Netherlands – Britannia has a dedicated network of removers who will assist you with moving to the Netherlands. Their full contact details will be sent to you prior to the forwarding of your consignment. If you have selected a full door to door service, Britannia will deliver the goods to your new home. We will then unpack your goods and furniture, and will remove all used packing materials from the site.
- Additional removal services – Britannia can provide a variety of additional services when moving to the Netherlands. We are authorised to provide a comprehensive insurance, can arrange international storage prior to delivery, and can also take care of your pet transport.
Living in the Netherlands
Those moving to Netherlands will discover a culturally diverse, democratic and modern country. While tourism in the Netherlands might not be as strong as in Spain or France, partly due to the less sunny climate, moving permanently to the Netherlands can be a perfect choice for those looking for an open, and tolerant society and a good quality of life.
The Netherlands is located in North-West Europe, and is bordered by Germany, Belgium and the North Sea. The country is a parliamentary democratic constitutional monarchy with a very strong economy. The Dutch economy has been a leading force since the 16th century, especially in shipping, trade, fishing and banking and is still at the forefront of global trends nowadays. The country also has a unique geography, with more than 25% of its area lying below sea level, and with hundreds of rivers and canals criss-crossing the country. Those used to huge cities might also find the Dutch middle-sized cities strange at first, with even Amsterdam having a population of less than 1 million.
The Netherlands is not all about tulips, clogs and windmills, it has a diverse cultural life, and offers a good quality of life for those living there. Unemployment levels are low, and there are no huge inequalities among the population. For those speaking English, language difficulties will not be great either, as most Dutch people speak excellent English. So if you decide to move to the Netherlands, you will enjoy an open and tolerant culture, travel to amazing cities and will be able to choose almost any lifestyle that suits you.
Interesting Facts About the Netherlands
- The Netherlands has the highest population density of any European country.
- Gin was invented in the Netherlands and was first sold as a medicine in the late 16th century.
- The Dutch were the first Europeans to discover Australia and New Zealand in the 17th century.
- Many famous painters were born in the Netherlands, for example Rembrandt, or Van Gogh.
- There are around 16 million bicycles in the Netherlands, which means that there is almost one for every inhabitant.
Tips About Moving to And Living in the Netherlands
- If you are an EU citizen, you won’t need a work permit to work in the Netherlands. Registration however is compulsory for EU citizens.
- The official language of the Netherlands is Dutch. If you are moving permanently to the Netherlands, it can be useful to learn the language, however most Dutch people speak English quite well.
- If you are moving to the Netherlands permanently, considering employment opportunities will also be important. The Netherlands has the lowest unemployment rate in Europe and a strong economy, so finding employment is easier than in many other European countries.
- Living costs in the Netherlands are relatively high, so you should expect to spend at least as much in the UK, although this will also depend on the region you are moving to.