Get a No Obligation Quote Today!
Moving To Portugal From The UK
Moving to Portugal
If you are planning on moving to Portugal, whether to Lisbon, Porto or Faro, Britannia Movers International has the expertise and the local knowledge to tailor the move to your individual needs.
Importing Personal Effects to Portugal
Portugal is a full member of the EU, but the UK has now left the EU, therefore new rules apply to movement of goods between the UK and EU Countries. Please bear in mind that all shipments to the EU from the UK will now have to clear customs on arrival and you must ensure you can provide all relevant customs documents required at destination. Your contact at your local Britannia office will assist you with which forms are necessary along with what supporting documentation you will need to provide. However, the responsibility for completion and submission of these forms now falls with the customer and it is advisable that all these formalities are prepared for prior to the move to avoid potential delays in transportation and additional charges.
Prohibitions and Restrictions
In general it is in your interest not to import the following items:
Transit times can vary subject to the method of transport chosen, size of your consignment and the final destination, but will on average be between two to four weeks. Britannia will advise you once this information is established.
All shared load consignments will be bar coded before they are loaded into the vehicle. This will ensure that no items are left at origin.
Britannia can recommend a specialised shipper of animals to assist you in sending your family pet(s) from home to home. They will coordinate all documentation and necessary veterinary procedures.
Find out more about pet transport.
Moving Motor Vehicles to Portugal
If you are moving permanently to Portugal, you may be able to import your motor vehicle tax-free provided you have owned the car for at least 12 months prior to importation. You will also need to submit an application to import your car once you are in Portugal.
When you are making international payments for individuals you can benefit from IFX expertise in seeking the best possible rate, whether you are sending or receiving foreign currency.
IFX can help to protect you from exchange rate fluctuations and save you time and money on international payments.
IFX offers :
More info on the IFX website.
Moving to Portugal With Britannia
- Your Move to Portugal With Britannia – Portugal is a popular destination for UK citizens, and Britannia has an extensive network of local removers to make your move hassle-free. Britannia companies have a regular service to Portugal every 2 weeks. We provide computer tracking and bar coding for groupage consignments, to ensure a safe and reliable removal service.
- Packing & Delivery – Our trained packers can pack and wrap all your items to ensure that they are transported safely. If you choose a full door to door service, Britannia will deliver the goods to your new home. We can then unwrap your furniture and unpack your moving boxes onto a flat surface, and all used packing materials will be removed from the site.
- Additional removal services – Britannia Movers International can provide a variety of additional removal services when moving to Portugal. We are authorised to provide a fully comprehensive marine insurance cover, can arrange international storage prior to delivery, recommend a convenient way to transfer your money, and can also take care of your pet transport.
Living in Portugal
While not as popular with tourists as Spain or France, Portugal is a very attractive expat destination. The Mediterranean country’s long sandy beaches, mountainous northern regions, stunning valleys and the long, sunny summers combined with Portugal’s beautiful architecture, and rich culture will provide a high quality of life and many exciting adventures for those looking for a more relaxed and alternative lifestyle. And if you are looking for city-life, Lisbon would be a great place to move, as it is not only one of the economic centres of the continent, but has a rich and diverse cultural life.
Portugal is located in southwestern Europe, and is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean and Spain. Some smaller islands in the Atlantic and Madeira are also part of Portugal. Portugal is a developed country with a strong economy, has a high quality of life and ranks as one of the most peaceful countries in the world. Portugal is a culturally diverse country, with some areas still retaining more traditional lifestyles and other more metropolitan areas like Faro or Lisbon. Portugal also has a good public education system and universal health care.
While Portugal might not be as strong economically as France or Germany, it is an amazing tourist and expat destination, with a diverse and rich history and a culture that welcomes foreigners. Living costs are lower than in many Western European countries, and there are thousands of stunning locations to visit, so if you are looking for a slightly different lifestyle, you will enjoy living in Portugal.
Interesting Facts About Portugal
- Lisbon is also known as the town of seven hills.
- Europe’s longest and the world’s 9th longest bridge is the Vasco de Gama Bridge located in Portugal.
- The tram is one of the traditional forms of public transport in Lisbon. The distinctive yellow trams are one of the tourist icons of Lisbon.
- The most western point of Europe’s mainland is the Cape of Roca in Portugal.
- Lisbon’s oldest district is the medieval quarter of Alfama, comprised of whitewashed houses and a labyrinth of stairways and alleys.
Moving to and Living in Portugal
- If you are moving to Portugal with your children, you should find out more about Portugal’s education system. There are a number of international schools in Portugal, or if you are staying permanently, it might be worth considering Portuguese schools as well.
- While you may not find as many employment opportunities in Portugal as in some other Western European countries, this will also greatly depend on where you are moving in Portugal.
- Living costs in Portugal are significantly lower than in the UK and France.