When you are moving with Britannia, we can provide a professional packing service. So if you are moving abroad, packing for storage, or have many valuable items, it will be easier to use our professional service. You can decide to pack your belongings yourself, however, and we have thus compiled this list of packing tips to help you organise your move more efficiently.
- Get plenty of packing supplies in time – You will need lots of packing supplies. No matter how small your house might seem, you will probably need more supplies, and boxes than you would think. You can buy a wide range of packing supplies from Britannia, or get boxes from local shops.
- You will need a variety of packing supplies – Use strong and sturdy boxes of different sizes, get bubble wrap and newspapers to wrap fragile items. Tape, scissors, and a marking pen will be crucial, while wardrobe boxes and mattress bags are also useful.
- Make an inventory – Keep track of what you are putting in each box. This way you’ll know right away where you can find anything while unpacking. This might seem unnecessary after 5 boxes packed, but once you’ve packed up the whole house, the pile of packed boxes with all your belongings will seem much more daunting, and a detailed list will be very handy.
- Organise the packing – A single packing box should ideally contain similar items. Try to fill a box with items from one single room, and pack one room at a time. Think about your new home, and pack accordingly. It is also crucial to label every box very clearly.
- Select the right size – Try to pack heavier items, books, canned food for example in smaller boxes, and lighter items in bigger boxes. Avoid loading more than 50 pounds into one box.
- How to pack the boxes? – Heavier items should always be placed at the bottom and lighter items on top to prevent damage. Use paper and bubble wrap – wrap fragile and valuable items thoroughly, and wrap everything individually. Fill all boxes, but do not overfill. Cartons that are underfilled can crush when another box is placed on top. Close every carton and seal with tape to avoid damage. Don’t forget to label each box.
- Personal boxes & essential items – Every person should pack a box with the items they’ll need right away in the new house. Also prepare a box with general essential items, like snacks, cleaning supplies, bedsheets that you will need right away. This box should be loaded last and unloaded first.
- Keep personal items with you – Do not pack official documents, passports, driving licenses, birth certificates, financial documents, cash and jewellery. Keep these items with you, as they are not easily replaceable, if at all.
- What not to pack? – Hazardous, flammable, and explosive materials should never be packed as it is dangerous and illegal for movers to transport them. Dispose of these safely in all cases. Perishable items, such as plants and perishable food should not be moved either. If you are moving abroad, check the local legislation, as you might not be able to move everything you could within the UK.