Get a No Obligation Quote Today!
Moving To France From The UK
Moving to France
Whether you are moving to Paris, Lyon, or to southern France, Britannia Movers International has the expertise and the local knowledge to tailor the move to your individual needs.
Importing Personal Effects to France
If you are moving to France from the UK, as the UK has now left the EU, new rules apply to movement of goods between the UK and EU Countries. Please bear in mind that all shipments to the EU from the UK will now have to clear customs on arrival and you must ensure you can provide all relevant customs documents required at destination. Your contact at your local Britannia office will assist you with which forms are necessary along with what supporting documentation you will need to provide. However, the responsibility for completion and submission of these forms now falls with the customer and it is advisable that all these formalities are prepared for prior to the move to avoid potential delays in transportation and additional charges.
Prohibitions and Restrictions
In general it is in your interest not to import the following items:
Transit times can vary subject to the method of transport chosen, size of your consignment and the final destination. Britannia will advise you once this information is established.
All shared load consignments will be bar coded before they are loaded into the vehicle. This will ensure that no items are left at origin.
Britannia can recommend a specialised shipper of animals to assist you in sending your family pet(s) from home to home. They will coordinate all documentation and necessary veterinary procedures.
Find out more about pet transport.
Importing Motor Vehicles to France
Importation of motor vehicles to France will be subject to compliance, and it is probable that duty and tax will apply.
When you are making international payments for individuals you can benefit from IFX expertise in seeking the best possible rate, whether you are sending or receiving foreign currency.
IFX can help to protect you from exchange rate fluctuations and save you time and money on international payments.
IFX offers :
More info on the IFX website.
Moving to France with Britannia
- Your Move to France – Britannia has a network of removers who will assist you with moving to France. We can also provide computer tracking and bar coding to ensure a safe and reliable removal service. Your goods can be transported to France by land, or by air.
- Packing & Delivery – Our trained packers can pack and wrap all your items to ensure that they are transported safely. If you choose a full door to door service, Britannia will deliver the goods to your new home. We will then unpack your goods and furniture, and will remove all used packing materials from the site.
- Additional removal services – Britannia can provide a variety of additional services when moving to France. We are authorised to provide a comprehensive insurance, can arrange storage prior to delivery, and can also take care of your pet transport.
Living in France
Thousands of Britons move to France every year, and tens of thousands spend their holidays there. France is said to be the tourist hotspot of Europe, ranking even before Spain, and is an attractive country to relocate for the English. These figures are not at all surprising, if one thinks of the diverse and rich culture, varied landscape, the sunnier climate and even the sheer proximity of France to England.
France is situated in Western Europe, and is a major economic, cultural and military influence in Europe and the world. It is regarded as one of the most developed countries, with the fifth largest economy in the world. The population enjoys a very high standard of living, one of the world’s highest life expectancies, an excellent health care system and high education levels. France can also boast an extremely rich culture – just think of the Louvre or the Loire Valley Castles -, and a variety of unique cities to move to.
Whether you are planning to move to one of the centres of continental Europe, Paris, the European capital of culture, fashion, and luxury, or move to a relaxed seaside resort with a sunny and warm climate, France is the perfect place to move. France’s diversity will surely satisfy you, whatever you are looking for, and you will definitely enjoy great food, and a varied and rich culture.
Interesting Facts about France
- Almost 20% of the territory of France lies outside Europe
- French was the official language of England between the 11th and 15th centuries.
- The Tour De France cycle race is approximately 2200 miles long.
- France has won the most Nobel Prizes in literature of any country.
- The ‘French Declaration of the Rights of Man and of Citizen’ from 1789 is the world’s first universal declaration applying to human rights.
Tips For Moving to and Living in France
- For most EU citizens, a residence permit is not a legal requirement for work.
- The official language of France is French, so try to learn some basic French or brush up on your knowledge before going there. No matter how little French you speak, if you make an effort, you will be welcomed and respected.
- The French public health care system is one of the best in the world, so before paying for a private insurance, find out if you are entitled to health cover under the public system.
- If you are taking your car to France, you must register it with the French authorities. You may have to modify your car to conform to French standards.
- Living costs in France will depend on your chosen city. If you are moving to Paris, or the Riviera, costs can be higher than in the UK, while the north is relatively cheap.
- Top Reasons To Move To France
- City Of The Month – Paris
- Top Locations To Move To In France
- 7 Things To Know About Buying Property In France