About Britannia Reeves
Since its start in 1897 Britannia Reeves has been owned by the Reeves family. Originally operating in Chertsey John A Reeves had been suffering with Ill health for some time and at his doctors suggestion at the age of 17 he decided to move closer to the sea. Aiming for Portsmouth he got as far as Petersfield and liked the area so much decided he was close enough to the sea and this market town was ideal. Originally operating from a small shop in the town John collected and sold furs alongside furniture. It was the furniture sales that led to him eventually being asked to move furniture. In 1931 John sadly passed away from Tuberculosis leaving four sons and one daughter. With the help of their mother they took the business forward moving every conceivable item that appeared.
Heading up the business the eldest son Robert (Bob) with the help of his three brothers Ted, Sid and Tom started to expand the business into the Furniture Removals and Haulage industry. Bob was eventually to end up owning the business on his own as the rest of the family chose other paths to follow, including one brother who went to carry out pest control for an Arab sheikh. Following his untimely death well before retirement age his two sons Michael and Andrew returned to Petersfield to help their Mother run the business.
This resulted in a period of further gradual expansion both in the removals and haulage sectors providing invaluable services around Petersfield and Hampshire not least of which was providing snow ploughing services for the local councils using their fleet of tipper trucks
At the same time the removals side of the business continued to grow and after further expansion, the company won a large contract to move and store machinery and office furniture for IBM at Havant.
This was followed by moving and storing historic furniture for The National Trust, as a result of Andrew Reeves being asked to advise them on their moving requirements. This prestigious work also led to a contract with English Heritage, and then The Royal Collection, which involved major work reinstating the rooms at Windsor Castle after the horrendous fire in 1992. The company was very proud to receive a letter from Her Majesty The Queen thanking them for the work they carried out at The Castle.
The next major project for Andrew was to plan and empty The Royal Yacht in Portsmouth Dockyard after its decommissioning in 1997.
After Michael and Andrews retirement the company passed to the fourth generation being Michaels two children Darren and Emma. Keen to carry on the family tradition of continuous improvement Darren bought the company into the Britannia network. In 2002 Andrew Shotbolt joined the compan y eventually becoming a Director and shareholder